One of the common reasons people are concerned
with taking a cruise is feeling confined and the
thought that there is a lack of things to do. I am
writing this article to put those concerns at ease.
Below is just a small list of the activities that
cruisers can enjoy. These are not in any particular
- Eat - Yes it is true! Cruise ships offer an
array of different dining opportunities for
breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Try something
new that you have not eaten before.
- Shuffleboard - Enjoy this ageless deck game
which is a favorite of cruisers from today and
- Visit the library - Libraries can be found on
most ships varying on size from very small to the
largest at sea on board the QM2. Here you can find
books on almost any subject you want to learn more
- Dance Lessons - Many ships offer dance lessons
- what better way to work off some of those extra
calories AND exercise.
- Swim in the Pool - Many ships offer both
indoor and outdoor pools which allow bathers to
enjoy the pool in any weather. What better way to
cool down and relax.
- Gym - Ships today offer extensive exercise
facilities with state of the art exercise
equipment. The Gym is usually open most of the day
for cruises to stop in as they wish for a quick
- Spa Treatments - Cruise lines have extensively
increased the number of Spa Offering to increase
onboard revenue. The Spa offer message, aroma
therapy and more. Some cruise lines offer Botox,
milk baths and therma-stone treatments just to name a few.
- Mini-Golf - Mini golf is not found on all ships - the
larger ones, usually offer 8-16 holes of Mini-golf
brining out the sportsman in you.
- Golf simulators - Many of the cruise lines
have a golf simulator or driving cage where
novices and experts alike can help refine their
- Rock Climbing Wall - Rock Climbing walls can
be found on some larger
ships, passengers can put on a harness and scale
the prefabricated rock wall adhered to the back
side of the ship's funnel to test your climbing
- Bingo - Daily there is a bingo tournament and
also the last day of the cruise is the super
jackpot bingo which usually has $1000+ grand
- Read a book - What a great opportunity to read
that book that you just never got around to?
Whether the book comes from the ship's library or
one you brought from home this is the perfect time
to catch up.
- Relax - Do nothing. Just stare out at the
ocean. It is not everyday that you have the opportunity to
beauty of the seas.
- Cooking Classes- Some ships offer cooking
classes where the basics of cooking are
- Internet Cafe - For a fee, you can surf the
internet at sea. Check you email, tell those at
home the great time you are having or do research
on the next port of call.
- Visit the Coffee Bar - May ships offer a
specialty coffee and dessert bar. What a great way
to lift up your afternoon.
- Whirlpool/Jacuzzi - Take a relaxing dip in the
Jacuzzi and ease your pain and stress away with
the rushing warm water.
- Afternoon tea and snacks - partake in the
English tradition of having afternoon tea and
finger sandwiches. Do something you have never
- Basketball - Many of the larger ships
have full court basketball where teens and
teens at heart can play a game of b-ball.
- Tennis - On the larger ships the basketball
court can also double as a tennis court allowing
time for a quick round.
- Ping-Pong - A cruising favorite for decades -
there is nothing like enjoying the sea air and
playing a round of ping-pong.
- Shopping - Ships usually have an extensive area
of shops and boutiques. Cruises can purchase
Jewelry, liquor, novelties and more tax free.
- Wine tasting - at a fee. Cruisers are invited
to join wine tasting at sea. Taste some specialty
wines from around the world.
- Sunbathe - Enjoy an afternoon on deck taking
in the warmth of the sun. Be sure to bring plenty
of sun screen to avoid getting burned.
- Nap on your Veranda - If you booked a balcony
cabin, there is nothing more relaxing than taking
a nap on your private veranda. Enjoy the peace,
serenity and sea air.
- Reconnect with your significant other - spend
time together and communicate with your
significant other. Spend the time with the people
who mean the most to you, but normal hecticness of
daily life does not permit.
- Take in a move - Whether a movie is being
played in the theatre or in the privacy of your
stateroom, relax and sit back.
- A trip to the Beauty Salon - You can look your
best for dinner by having your hair done. For a
style, hair color or have your nails done, the
salon is perfect place to pamper
yourself. (Beauty Salon and Spa services are
available at an additional cost.)
- Plan your shore excursions - Plan your day in
the next port of call. Whether taking a ship
organized tour or adventuring on your own, decide
what there is to do and what you want to do.
- Go to the Game Room - Many ships have game
rooms which are stocked with popular card and
board games. Spend some family time, or make new
- Plunge down the water slide - Many of the
larger ships offer a water slide which provide a
fun, fast way to cool down from the warm tropical
- Listen to music - Whether it is live music on
deck, recorded music or music from your personal
ipod collection, relax and listen to the beat.
- Spend time with friends and family - Take time
to reconnect with the people in your family.
Spend time with the kids; playing a game, going
down the waterslides or just talking together.
- Jog or power walk around the upper deck - Many
ships feature a jogging track which allows you to
exercise, take in the fresh sea and take in the
visual pleasure of the ocean.
- Walk around the promenade deck - many ship
feature a wrap around promenade deck which allow
you expansive views of the sea, the ship's wake
and in some instances impressive views of the bow.
- Ship Sponsored daily activities - Check out
the ship's daily program for lecture programs,
structured activities, organized events and more
- Take a nap - Catch up on all that missing
sleep from the weeks at work or early mornings
making sure the kids are out in time for school.
- Partake in the art auction - Whether you are
just browsing or interested in purchasing, it is
always fun to critique the art on display and if
interested submit a bid.
- Look for friends and family Photos at the
Photo gallery - look for great candid and posed
photographs taken during your cruise..
- Enjoy a drink - whether enjoying a beer,
champagne, wine or cocktail there are many venues
as well as deck staff willing to bring you your
beverage of choice.
- Sign up for an aerobic, cycling or other
exercise class - At an additional cost, there are
structured, leader led classes to keep you in shape.
Use of the gym, sauna and gym equipment is free.
- Visit the Game room or arcade - Many ships
offer a game room with many top video game. Please
note that the arcade can be expensive therefore
spending limits should be imposed for kids.
- Talk to your room Steward about those great
towel animals - Talk to your cabin steward
and nine out of ten times he/she will provide
you a private lesson and you will be able to make
your own animal when you get home.
- Try you luck at the Casino - Whether you play
the slots, the gaming tables or other games of
chance, the casino offers something for the gambler
- Private Lunch on your Veranda - Whether you
order room service or you go to the buffet and
bring your meal back to your stateroom, eating
lunch in the private setting is always enjoyable.
Don't forget the dessert.
- Write out those postcards - send a postcard to
those at home and let them know the wonderful time
you are having. Make them really jealous.
- Play a game of deck chess- Many ships have
oversized deck chess boards which allow to move
these large than life pieces around the game
- Examine the deck plans and explore the ship -
Many ships offer unique features which may not be
evident unless you look at the deck plans. For
instance some ships have viewing stations which
allow you to see the bridge of the ship,
navigational equipment and officers on the bridge.
This is just one of the many items you many find.
- Try the Ice Cream and Dessert - At the buffet
area you will find various deserts and usually ice
cream. Sample many of the deserts and go for the
double scoop on the ice cream.
- Take part in nighttime activities:
- Take in the nightly show.
- Dance in the disco.
- Partake in nighttime structured activities.
- Enjoy the live music.
- Have a drink in the piano bar.
- Try your luck in the casino.
- Shop in the tax free shops.
- Enjoy a drink.
- After hours dip in the whirlpool on deck.
- Take a stroll on deck under the stars.
- Some ships also feature large poolside screens
where movies can be viewed
- More to explore.
These are just some of the activities you can
participate in. There are many more not mentioned.
Today's cruise ships offer something for those who
desire an active lifestyle and those who are just
looking to escape and relax. There is a wealth of
information available online, so check out ship
reviews and deck plans to understand the features
and activities available on the ship you are